Workin' Gal Again

After 6 months of unemployment and some deep soul searching I've found a job! I am the new Front Desk Agent at the Boulderado Hotel in downtown Boulder, and I start tomorrow. My first step into a new career.
"But what about that interiors / architecture career you had going?"
As anyone who talked to me about it over the last 4 years may know, I was very unhappy on that path. My ultimate decision was: its not my passion and there's enough mediocrity in the world without adding to it in this industry [architecture].
After looking at where I spend my time and what I truly love to do, this job will be my first step down a path to a career in Travel & Tourism. Planning, organizing and traveling - three things I can't get enough of, and three things this new industry has in abundance!
Last week I spoke with J at Cain Travel in Boulder. I basically interviewed her about the job of a travel agent and the industry in general. She was extremely nice and very honest and open about all the nitty-gritty details. After talking for about an hour, I was very excited... and I haven't been excited about a job in a looooooong time. One of her suggestions for getting a foot in the door was to start in the hotels and/or resorts.
The Boulderado is a historic hotel in downtown Boulder, just a block up from the Pearl Street Mall, and only a 5 minute drive from our apartment. Everyone I've met so far has been very cheerful and it looks like its going to be a great crew to work with. The job itself looks to be challenging and fast paced, which I think I'm going to totally dig. The hours are such that I'll have plenty of time to hit the slopes during the week, too.
We are both very excited, as I hope you all are, too. Wish me luck tomorrow!

Comments

Popular Posts