Welcome to the world!

Friday, May 2nd, 2008 @12:02 a.m. we finally got to meet our son, Van Michael Redmore.

Labor:
After resigning ourselves to an induction Friday morning we were about to start dinner Thursday night, and finish packing for the weekend. To my surprise I started having contractions around 6 p.m. Calls were made, bags were grabbed and off we went!

We arrived at the hospital, with growing contractions, around 7:15 p.m. and they had our room and nurse all ready and waiting. Dilation had gone to about 4-5cm at this point - nice and steady. Around 8:30 our nurse drew me a hot bath to help ease the contractions - miracle!! This was just the best thing in the world. It helped me relax immensely and allowed me to progress with a little less discomfort.

Delivery:
About 10:00 I reached 10cm and we started pushing soon after. Around 11:00 the baby's heartbeat suddenly dropped by half, down into the 50s. We went from 4 people in the room to about 13, and we were being whisked off to the OR for a C-section. While they were prepping me and the room for the procedure the heartbeat regulated a bit and the doctor tried using the vacuum to move the baby down the canal. It worked! After a little suction I was able to get the li'l guy out on my own... just in the nick of time! (As it turned out, the heart beat drop was caused by the cord wrapped rather tightly around his neck.) The whole experience was almost exactly 6 hours from start to finish.

Li'l Van is perfect! - 10 fingers, 10 toes, a big head of dark hair, blue eyes, his daddy's feet and mommy's ears. He was 7lbs 14oz, and 20 1/2" long.

Everyone here at the hospital is super helpful and sweet. Both of Josh and I can't wait to be home with Van tomorrow afternoon.

Thank you to everyone for your love and best wishes for our family over the past couple days. Pictures are forthcoming - stay tuned!

Comments

Unknown said…
CONGRATULATIONS!!!! He's beautiful, I can't wait to see more pictures. I'll send some Lyrik pictures soon. It's amazing being grandparents, I'm sure your Mom and Dad are very excited. Take care Josh an Yubba!! Love, Pat, Sue and Nash

Popular Posts